Monday, May 27, 2013

Pay Attention (click on image to enlarge)

Most restaurants now list the calories - and other nutrition facts - on their menus or on their website.  This is useful for consumers, but only if we put this information to use.  If I am at Panera/St. Louis Bread Company, I will either split this cookie with someone, or take 1/2 home.  Even 1/2 of this cookie has plenty of calories, so ideally this would be your dessert for the day.  I also used to eat the pumpkin muffin at Panera until I saw on their nutrition link that they contain 590 calories and 53 grams of added sugar (we should have no more than 40 grams of added sugar for the entire day).  The pumpkin "muffie" is a better choice at 290 calories and 26 grams of added sugar, but again this would hopefully be my dessert for the day.  For those trying to lose weight, cutting the muffie in half might be a better strategy.

Read about how to use visual cues for portion control at ...



No comments:

Post a Comment